Instruct fitness classes while supporting the mission and core values of the YMCA, and building relationships with our members. Create a healthy and safe environment while providing motivation.
Status: Part-time, flexible hours
- Plans and instructs fitness and/or related classes, following YMCA standards and guidelines.
- Acts professionally in the presence of members, guests and staff utilizing the Y core values.
- Ensures all equipment is properly set-up, taken down, and put away in its designated location prior to and after class. Notifies the Manager, Health & Wellness of any equipment needing repair.
- Attends staff meetings and approved trainings as required.
- Maintains current certifications for all formats taught including, but not limited to, a national level group exercise certification.
- Ensures safe and effective workouts. Responds to and reports accidents and incidents.
- Builds relationships with members and has the ability to answer fitness related questions within their scope of knowledge.
- Discusses and promotes all YMCA programs and events taught by them and other instructors during class.
- Conveys concerns from members or guests in a constructive manner.
- Motivates members to commit to long term participation.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Must hold YMCA approved certifications through a nationally accredited organization and be CPR, AED and First Aid certified. (YMCA Group Exercise Instructor, ACE, AFAA or ACSM Health Fitness Instructor)
- Must be 18 years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have good interpersonal, public relations and communications skills.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments.
- Enthusiasm, a professional image and the ability to empathize and support members and program participants of ALL ages.
- Must be energetic and able to handle the physical demands of the job. Instructors must be physically able to demonstrate any and all recommended exercises and routines. Standing, walking, talking and active listening are other demands of the position. Employees must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.