The Membership Director creates, implements, manages and models practices and processes that ensure positive interactions and outstanding experiences for all—helping to further relationships with members, participants and the community at large, as well as the mission of the B.R. Ryall YMCA.
- Provides leadership, ongoing training and support to the Membership team and front desk.
- Develops membership recruitment, retention and engagement strategies to promote new membership sales and retention of existing members.
- Trains and directs team to support membership sales and retention goals.
- Leads the recruitment, hiring, training and onboarding of team members. Reviews and evaluates team performance and develops strategies to motivate team.
- Models excellent customer service; behaves and leads in a manner that promotes member and guest engagement.
- Implements process for handling member inquiries, and establishes ongoing strategies to ensure member communication and satisfaction to include emails, follow up calls, surveys and more.
- Trains associates on tour process and defines process for membership sale and follow-up post-tour.
- Establishes new onboarding process and trains all team members on expected engagement, tour and enrollment expectations. Trains and coaches all team members on customer service and relationship building skills to ensure consistent excellence in service and experience.
- Reviews, tracks and evaluates membership and participant statistics and responds to ensure goals are being met.
- Manages relationships and promotes positive communication, diffusing tension and resolving issues as needed.
- Educates and reinforces organizational policies and procedures.
- Identifies and implements service and process improvement to ensure member satisfaction.
- Serves as a brand/organizational ambassador to help promote programmatic initiatives, fundraising events, etc. Partners with program directors to develop strategies to enhance program and event promotions and sales.
- Manages and monitors operating budget to stay on target.
- Leads and maintains a culture of welcoming and exceptional service. Works with team members to continually improve engagement and experience for all members and participants.
- Establishes a calendar of member engagement activities and appreciation opportunities.
- Promotes the Y and benefits of membership at community events and find opportunities to promote to organizations and individuals.
- Monitors all areas of facility for safety and cleanliness, notifying appropriate staff of assistance needed.
- Processes and maintains forms, waivers, reports and letters relevant to members and guests.
- Manages stocking and ordering of forms, materials, supplies for front desk.
- Attends all staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
Goals and Results
- Contributes to the overall mission of building the foundations of community.
- Meets and exceeds monthly and annual membership sales and retention goals.
- Demonstrates consistent excellence in sales; communications; customer service; and member, participant and guest engagement.
- Fosters an environment of engaged and high performing staff who are committed to the Y, meeting the needs of those who we serve and providing an exemplary experience.
- Contributes to the organization’s financial viability by increasing member enrollment, growth and retention.
- Shows success in building relationships with members, participants, guests and community members.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- A minimum of three years of experience in customer service, sales and marketing, preferably in a supervisory role) preferred.
- A minimum of two years of experience with hiring, training and supervising staff members, as well as monitoring and motivating teams.
- Proven track record of product or service sales to meet and exceed goals.
- Excellent computer skills and experience utilizing standard business software.
- Must possess high level of professionalism with exceptional communications and conflict resolution skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Must possess the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, professional manner and exhibit good judgment.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments.
- Must be able to occasionally work a varied schedule that may include evenings and weekends.
While performing the duties of this position, the Director is regularly required to stand, walk, operate a computer and communicate with members, program participants, guests, vendors and associates. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday. May occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds using proper lifting techniques. The Director may be required to assist in emergency situations with members and program participants related to CPR/First Aid procedures.