Under the direct supervision of the Lead Counselor/School Age Program Coordinator, Summer Camp Counselors are responsible for the care and safety of a group of campers during the camp day. Camp Counselors must be passionate about working with children and act as positive role models for our campers.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of all campers.
- Have direct involvement with children during daily activities.
- Act as a mentor and role model to all campers.
- Maintain a positive relationship with staff, peers, campers and parents.
- Create a summer camp environment for campers and staff that is fun, memorable and educational.
- Set a good example to staff and campers in promptness, manners, language and appearance, and demonstrate YMCA core values on a daily basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have or be in the process of obtaining a high school diploma or GED.
- Must have previous experience working in a group setting supervising children.
- Previous experience planning and implementing age-appropriate programs for school-age children a plus.
- Must have capacity to make decisions and communicate effectively with participants, parents and school staff.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Must have a flexible schedule and able to work Monday – Friday during the hours of 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Applicants must have, or obtain, First Aid/CPR certification within the first 60 days of employment.